The Tent was chartered April 15, 1914 with 42 members led by May C. Kidder, National President.
Tent No. 3 was named for Sarah M.W. Sterling who was a native Detroiter married to a Union Colonel in the Civil War. She was actively involved in everything connected to the Civil War and left her home to be near her husband riding her own horse.
Tent No. 3 met at the GAR Building in downtown Detroit until 1973 when members became unable to attend due to advancing age.
The Tent remained inactive until June 1992, when due to the efforts of Celestine Hollings, the Department of Michigan initiated eleven new members and reactivated it. On June 7, 1992 the first organization meeting was held at Elias Brothers Big Boy Restaurant in Detroit, MI. The following officers were elected: President, Celestine Hollings; Sr. Vice President, Sarah Fox; Jr. Vice President, Ada Maxwell*, Secretary, Peggy Williams; Treasurer, Vivian Porche*; Chaplain, Anna Strauther*.
* now deceased
Submitted by Celestine Hollings, PNP, October 2004